Can you get a smart meter for your businesses if you rent?
Yes! Whether you rent or own your business space, you may be eligible for a smart meter.
You may be eligible for a smart meter if your business has the following:
- fewer than 10 employees or their full-time equivalent (including the business owner)
- an annual turnover of less than £1.67 million; or
- an energy consumption of no more than 100,000 kWh of electricity per year; or a gas consumption of no more than 293,000 kWh per year
If you don’t have your own gas and/or electricity meter, ask your landlord if they plan to get one for your building.
Smart meter offerings may vary between energy suppliers, and each supplier could have different related terms and conditions. You may also be able to get a smart meter if you have a small business with more than 10 employees. Contact your energy supplier or broker for more details.
For more information, download our guide to smart meters for small business owners below:
Want to find out more?
- How to request a smart meter - Find out how you can get a smart meter for your small business.
- The benefits of smart meters for small businesses - We lay out all the potential benefits in getting a smart meter for your small business.
- Reducing costs for your small business - Find out how you can get costs down, including getting a smart meter!
How long does installation take?
Installations normally take about two hours and are arranged in advance so that you can make any necessary arrangements beforehand to ensure minimal disruption to your normal business operations.
Is my smart meter accurate?
Smart meters are as accurate as traditional meters. By law, all smart meters have to be approved by and certified by the Office of Product Safety & Standards to prove their accuracy. If you believe that there's a fault with your smart meter you can report it to your energy supplier in the same way you do now.